Saturday, December 10, 2016



On November 10th the Fredericksburg, Texas Mayor and the  City Council held a ribbon cutting, celebrating the completion and opening of the Fort Martin Scott Enlisted Mans Barricks and Visitor Center. Thanks to all 


Fort Martin Scott would Like to thank These craftsman Al Carr nativetex@hotmail.com , Tom and Mary Marschall furnitureforpst78@gmail.com, and Dean Storey thedukeofdust@hotmail.com for building this beautiful mesquite furniture and donating it to the Fort. The Mesquite wood was harvested from around the Fort. Everyone just has to come to the Fort to see the early Texas designed and custom built furniture. THANK YOU VERY MUCH!!!!

Sunday, November 6, 2016

                                                 EARLY HOMELAND SECURITY
Gillespie County Rangers are seen once again on patrol at Fort Martin Scott.

Seen below are two living history reenactors representing a time during the 1860s when local Gillespie County citizens served as Texas Mounted Rangers to provide protection from marauding Indians and bandits. These men were early homeland security. 

Mounted Rangers Brad and Bruce Ferguson

Saturday, November 5, 2016

Freemasons Return To Fort Martin Scott

Fredericksburg Masonic Lodge rented the fort to conduct a tiled lodge meeting to honor the long-standing connection between Texas Rangers and Freemasonry. It had been 161 years since a Masonic Lodge was held at Fort Martin Scott when Freedom Lodge No.100 last gaveled a meeting to order in 1855.

After the lodge was called to order at the recent event, the Grand Master of Masons in Texas, Wendell P. Miller, was presented with his “commission” as Major in the John B. John Masonic Rangering Company of the Former Texas Rangers Foundation. Honorable Miller is a retired Major with the Texas Department of Public Safety. With his new commission, Miller will act as Commander of the Masonic Rangering Company.

Over sixty Masons from all over Texas attended the special meeting where they received an update on the progress of the Texas Rangers Heritage Center from Joe B. Davis, retired Texas Ranger and President of the Former Texas Rangers Foundation.


Local Mason and Fort Martin Scott Advisory Board Chairman, Jim McCrae offered a special program titled Badges and Aprons, alluding to the badge of a Texas Ranger and the apron of a Mason. McCrae, in typical 1850’s era Texas Ranger attire, presented the story of Texas Ranger Captain Henry McCulloch’s part in establishing a Masonic Lodge at Fort Martin Scott.

The lodge was known as Freedom Lodge No. 100, which was the first Masonic Lodge in Gillespie County. Besides Captain McCulloch, several members of that lodge were notable citizens, including Gillespie County Commissioner, Jacob Doering; Thomas C. Doss founder of Doss, TX; George Freeman, Gillespie County Sheriff; William Mogford, Deputy Gillespie County Clerk; Chester B. Starks, donor of land to form Llano, TX; Frank Van der Stucken, Civil War Cavalryman, chief justice of Gillespie County and father of Frank V. Van der Stucken who was a famous composer and conductor and was a member of Fredericksburg Masonic Lodge; and Joseph K. Wilson, medal of honor recipient.

                                                                            END






Friday, November 4, 2016



HUNTERS NIGHT OUT @ FORT MARTIN SCOTT
November 26, 2016 - 5:00pm to 9:00pm

Hunters, history buffs and friends of the Fort are invited to attend the 1st Annual Hunters Night Out featuring:  Beer - Brats - Biscuits - Beans with Door Prize Drawings - Bucket Raffles - Live Music - Story Telling and Mort

It all happens on the grounds of Fort Martin Scott

ENTRY BY DONATION  - FREE PARKING
​​​